Saturday 27 May 2017

Some ideas and thoughts about recent discussions with Dr Bailey & Richard Mulhearn and my approach.

I had a very useful conversation after the usual weekly lecture last Wednesday, and Dr Bailey provided good feedback on my current blogs and reflective diary.  The use of diffractive reading is a useful technique which I should build upon.

In thinking about the conversations, it seems that a Reflective Essay is going to be the likely output of my work for the deadline of 18th/19th of July, for the bulk of my major project.

The peculiar and strange discovery of "my old self" in the book by Helen Macdonald (2006) called "Falcon" and the photograph found on page 198 should somehow be incorporated. But thinking about my explorations, the theme of the Peregrine and different points of view, and how different temporalities can be linked must all be carefully weaved together.

Essentially, I'm beginning to form the opinion that my written submission can consist of three parts;
the blog,
a story or narrative (possibly a book?), Which can contain creative writing,
and the academic Reflective Essay for the context building.

Rowan recommended that I looked at the work again of Tim Ingold, and in particular the book "Lines" (2007, latest addition, 2016). Also, for a source of narrative style and story building, consider the work of Siebold, and positions of perspective-hunting. Write out the narrative of exploration and the hunt for research.

Another source of narrative creative writing is the work of Ian Sinclair; his work in the borough of Hackney "the red Rose Empire" is useful to understand layers of reflective creative writing. The inner voice. And in my case use the inner voice and the voice of the Peregrine?

A further discussion with Richard Mulhearn last week provided more useful references for me to pursue, including work by Mark Dion, who has written a section for the recent publication by Whitechapel Gallery in their series entitled "Documents of Contemporary Art: Animals" edited by Filipa Ramos (2016).

The work I have been undertaking in the study of Daan Paans, and his method to use, or reuse of material, such as that of the artist Albrecht Dürer is particularly useful. I can apply this in my own case now, as a range of different "scientific materials" to create a series of speculative drawings perhaps?

In essence, this would take the form of: archive, study, inventory; all focused and documented together as an overall essay as a reflective inventory of my experiences.

Conclusions:

  • further research for the work of Siebold needs to be undertaken and verified.
  • I have ordered Tim Ingold's "Lines: a Brief History" and expect to receive this in the next few days.
  • I have also ordered "Documents of Contemporary Art: Animals" on Richard's recommendation, as this is a rich source of many excellent essays and articles from a cross-disciplinary selection of academics and artists.


No comments:

Post a Comment