Sunday 14 May 2017

Reflections on a short one-to-one tutorial (12th May)

I spent a little bit of time with my module leader on Friday which was very useful to discuss my ongoing work towards the major project. To articulate my aim and objectives succinctly and clearly, I usually create a single page summary. Clearly, this is a work in progress and forms the backbone of current progress and future objectives.

The current format of my aims and objectives are clear as they have been emerging for some time and are now crystallising into firm goals.
However, my academic argument for my project is still a bit hesitant in its language. My tutor pointed out that the work feels orientated towards an environmental discourse, but I am not sure if that is my sole intent. I need to think a little bit more carefully about how I articulate the argument.

What I found encouraging was the comment that it is useful to include in my thoughts and reflections, and ultimately my final essay my own interpretation and cross-referencing with the work of Donna Haraway and her notion of companion species, through reading and researching the book "when species meet" 2007. An interesting concept is that it could be argued as an act of inaccurate translation?

This fits well with my own thoughts about drawing and in particular the act of drawing. The expression of the theoretical framework.

Therefore the argument is critical. The notion of vantage points needs to be incorporated more fluently in reference to speculative realism.
Ultimately what will help me to not only drive forward my thoughts on interpretation and translation but also my expression of these, is the act of drawing itself. I need to immerse myself in drawing for more than I have been doing, and I recognise I have the opportunity to do so now that the previous terms have been completed, and my focus can be committed to the major project.



No comments:

Post a Comment